Wednesday, January 9

Wedding Wednesday :: The Ceremony



It was important to us that our ceremony be representative of us as individuals and as a couple. That what was celebrated during the day was genuine and honest.

We kept our ceremony and reception intimate with approximately 70 guests and it felt just right. It was small enough that the meaning didn't feel lost and big enough that we had a great party!


We enlisted a couple of our friends to film the ceremony on a bunch of Super 8 cameras Jack has been collecting over the last year. We haven't seen the film yet but we cannot wait to have it developed! 





My dad walked me down the aisle to an instrumental version of "We are going to be friends" played by our friend, Adam. I couldn't imagine a better way we could have begun our ceremony. I loved the sweetness of the song, it's focus on friendship and how it's instantly recognizable in the first few chords.



Since Jack and I skipped the traditional wedding party, we wanted to find other ways for our siblings to be important parts of our day. Working with our justice of the peace, we personalized the ceremony. Among the changes were two readings for my sisters. My sister, Magdalaina read a pared down version of "I like you" by… I had bought this book for Jack because I loved how it spoke to all the simple, everyday ways love exists. 

Kirima's reading was a passage from "Everything Is Illuminated". In contrast, this passage was much shorter, more mature and spoke to the passionate side of love. We enlisted Ruby and my brother, Shane to be our witnesses and I must say, they did a fantastic job.
  



I honestly did not see it coming but I pretty much happy-cried throughout the entire ceremony. Once I made eye contact with my friend, Mary, as I was walking down the aisle, I couldn't stop. When I wasn't crying, I was trying to stop myself from laughing. I may need to re-evaluate the "cool as a cucumber" strength I have included on my resume. Luckily, Jack was almost as big a wreck as I was [likely why neither one of us could pull it together] so we ruined the pictures together.


The recessional, "This Might be the Place" by the Talking Heads, played again by our friend, Adam, was just perfect! Jack chose it and although I was little hesitant at first, I really ended up loving it. It was the perfect soundtrack to us officially beginning our lives together. 





21 comments:

  1. Awww, I loved reading about your special day! Sounds (and looks!) like it was beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorren I'm a blubbering fool! Tears are streaming from my eyes! I love this post! :D you two are SO sweet! I love it.
    xx
    shortpresent.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww, Kayla. You are too sweet! I'm so glad you liked the post - I rarely share like this and your comment definitely made me feel more comfortable with sharing!

      Delete
  3. I couldn't be more in love with this. Your guest list size is absolutely perfect, and I love how you incorporated close friends into all aspects of your day. I'd love to hear more about you not choosing to have a wedding party. It intrigued me too when Emily of C&C did the same thing. I adore your music choices too! Also, I gave J that SAME BOOK a few years ago. Basically what I'm saying is, can I have your wedding...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, Candice, it is just getting a little crazy how similar we are! [...but I love it]. I can't believe you bought that book for J too! That is amazing. It's such a wonderful, sweet book.

      As for the wedding party. When I first thought of who would stand with me there ended up being about 7 people [my sisters, jack's sister, 2 high school friends and 2 university friends] and that was just plain overwhelming! Also, I never wanted my wedding to stress others out and purchasing a bridesmaids dress can be a strain. Since I couldn't offer to pay there was another strike against the wedding party. A few other things added up against: distance of my closest friends, politics and balance and we finally just decided to skip it. My first friend who got married had foregone them [since she had 5 sisters] so it was already ingrained in my head that this could be an option. In the end, everyone who I held dearest inserted themselves in and helped me every way possible.

      Honestly, I love my wedding and definitely recommend that when planning one - just do what feels right to you, and leave the rest behind.

      Delete
    2. The book is so sweet, I agree. I came upon it at Winners so randomly and had to purchase.

      I am really starting to adore the idea of no bridal party, and the reasons behind it. I'm not planning a wedding, yet I find details like this so intriguing! So much inspiration for a day I still dream about possibly having in my future :) I think I will feel a deep sense of emptiness when your wedding posts are over. You should seriously be an event planner with all these creative & amazing details & ideas!

      xx

      Delete
  4. Everything about this is SO beautiful. And if you ask me, happy-tears only make photos sweeter :)

    I really love Everything is Illuminated. Which passage did you use, if you don't mind my asking?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't at all! it was:

      “If there is no love in the world, we will make a new world, and we will give it walls, and we will furnish it with soft, red interiors, from the inside out, and give it a knocker that resonates like a diamond falling to a jeweller's felt so that we should never hear it. Love me, because love doesn't exist, and I have tried everything that does.”

      Delete
  5. Ahhh, This Must Be The Place is on the list of my favorite songs. That is awesome that you chose that for your recessional..."out of all those kinds of people, you've got a face with a view!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. such beautiful photos! must have been a spectacular day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO pretty! and you two look like giants next to your officiant :)

    Your wedding was perfect. can't wait to see more pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha i know!! Damn her.

      I'm so glad your enjoying! I'm on a mission to post them every week until they're gone!

      Delete
  8. loved reading about this and looks so beautiful!
    kw, Ladies in Navy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful pictures - sounds like you had such an amazing ceremony that really spoke to you. That's the most important thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm with Candice above. Can I have your wedding?

    This is gorgeous, Sorren. You are beyond beautiful and I love all the personal touches to your day.

    xo Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  11. So amazing Sorren....I love all of the care you have taken with every single detail... big or small... xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks a lot for enjoying this beauty blog with me. I am appreciating it very much! Looking forward to another great blog. Good luck to the author! all the best

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing ability has inspired me.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love getting to know you all a little better each time :)