Monday, November 19

mmmMonday: Pumpkin Pie!


In honour of American Thanksgiving this week's mmmMonday features my family go-to pumpkin pie recipe. I had planned on sharing this recipe back in October before Canadian Thanksgiving but you know how it goes, intentions and all. 

This pie is delicious. It's just the right amount of sweet and spicy AND, as with all great things, it gets better with time. Bake it the night before and it will be just perfect come your big dinner!


One of my favourite things about pumpkin pie is how simple it is to throw it all together. Not like some foolish apple, or berry pie. The ingredients below are for one pie, if you'd like the costco-sized recipe for 3 pies, let  me know and it's yours.

INGREDIENTS:
                        
1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
                        
1t cinnamon
                        
1 can evaporated milk
                        
1/4t ground cloves
                        
2 beaten eggs
                        
1/4t nutmeg
                        
1/3 cup brown sugar
                        
1/4t allspice
                        
2T maple syrup
                        




Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Combine all your ingredients into one bowl. No need to get fancy, just throw them in and mix until you have some thing resembling the below. Once all mixed, set aside and get to work on your dough.


I used the Tenderflake Pie Dough recipe a while back and still had some lying around [it freezes well for about 3 - 4 months]. If you're using dough from scratch, sprinkle flour onto your counter and then roll it a little larger than your pie pan. 


Once large enough, drape over your pan and lightly press it down, ensuring that there are no air bubbles. Stab crust with a fork as back up ...and for fun. Don't get too over zealous though. I have and it didn't end well for the crust. Once prepared, pretty-up the edges, you know, to be extra impressive. By this point I'm usually bored so I just smush everything hanging over the edge together.


Pour in your pie mixture. Every. last. drop.


Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Then reduce the temperature to 350 and continue baking for another 40 minutes, or until it seems ready. You'll know if it looks like the below. You can let it cool and have a piece right away [topped with maple whipped cream obviously] OR you can wait until tomorrow and it will seriously be 100% better. Just wait. You'll thank me.




6 comments:

  1. Chris = @nylonlover69 on twitterNovember 20, 2012 at 9:18 AM

    Good morning, Sorren. Sounds & looks delicious! One question though... what's the honey looking liquid in the white bowl at the front of your first picture? I don't see anything that resembles that on your ingredient list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that! It was my own addition to the original recipe and I forgot to make the edits! haha

      The liquid is 2T maple syrup. When I add this, I lower the brown sugar to 1/3 cup.

      I updated the recipe above too :) Thanks for catching that!

      Delete
    2. Mmmmmm... I'm giving this a shot as soon as I roast the pumpkin that is on my front step!

      Roses are red, and Violets are purple
      Sugar is sweet and so is maple surple...

      Delete
  2. wow looks good lady!! I have yet to tackle pie crust!

    Must give this a go
    xx
    shortpresents.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be afraid of pie crust, it's not as hard as it may seem!
      My advice: a little on the wet side is easier to work with than too dry... it may stick to your pin/counter a bit more (keep dusting with flour) but won't crack the way a too dry crust will.

      Good luck!

      Delete
  3. MMMMMMmmm Monday is indeed correct. I wish I had the patience to make my own pies, but Costco makes it soooo easy to not :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love getting to know you all a little better each time :)