Monday, November 21

DIY Sock Bun

I am so excited to share this DIY with you. When I first heard-tell of this sock-bun business I was pretty freakin pumped. I am a big fan of the high-bun and would love the padding a sock could offer to take it to the next level. 

I must admit that I did envision the bun being messier initially but was pleasantly surprised when I discovered it's not. The sock bun offers a full, easy, clean solution to a quick up-do for a semi-formal event. Even though I eventually chose a preppy/casual outfit to accompany my sock-bun experiment, my first thought, when I saw it sitting a-top my head just-so, was that I should throw on a maxi-dress and fancy shall. I think this would be a great go-to for Christmas Party season when you're strapped for time.


First things first - find a sock. 
Make sure it's a lonely one, you wouldn't want to separate a pair of buddies. 
I chose this little guy based on the thickness of the fabric and because I lost his better half a while ago, 
which is sad because I used to love these socks. 

Next, grab some trusty scissors and cut off the tip. 
(Now you see why I wanted you to grab a lonely one?)


Now we begin the rolling process. 
Start at the end with the elastic and roll -I kept my rolls about an inch think. 
Roll and roll until you're all rolled out. 

Ta-da! You're new hair care friend.


Here comes the trouble. The first time I did this it went like a breeze (just so happens that's when the photos were taken - thank god), this isn't always the case. Tie your hair into a high pony-tail. Position the sock roll and the tip top of your tail, with your ends pulled through. 

Smooth hair over the sock roll. Roll hair and sock roll together. You should be closer to your scalp now. Re-position stray hairs, ensuring to hide the sock roll behind the hair. Roll hair and sock roll again. Continue to roll until at scalp. Tighten hair into sock roll, pushing all stray hairs into the body of the bun as much as possible.


And there you have it folks, that should be it! The first time I did this I did not need any bobby pins, the second time I grabbed a few. Hopefully, if done right, your sock roll will be the only thing you need. 


Notes
I'm still unsure why the next few times were so horrible, but they were. 
So, if it doesn't work right away don't worry - keep trying -- it will happen, 
and when it does, it's beautiful.

Try to use a sock similar in your hair colouring. 
My grey & blue sock can really show through if not completely covered 
and I think a brown sock may allow me some flexibility in how great a job I would have to do.

14 comments:

  1. Looks great! I have been meaning to try this for days!!

    Hayleyhttp://www.theweekendfile.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. A trick I just discovered in dealing with the times it's messy/loose, but not bad enough to redo.  Use another hair elastic around the whole bun!  It tightens up the sock and helps to control the fly-aways.

    I'm an obsessed sock bun convert.  Welcome to the club!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so nifty! thanks for the great tip... i will definitely add this to my list of things to try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute! Now I'm kind of excited for the next time I lose a sock, haha :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. THanks for sharing!! I'll have to give this way a try instead of using a billion bobby pins in my hair!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't tried this yet, my hair isn't quite long enough. For people who's hair is too fine to support the weight of a sock, Claire's sells little spongey like things that serve the same purpose. Your sock bun looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for doing this tutorial! I have been wanting to try a sock bun but wasn't sure how to do it, and you really showed how easy it is! I just got out one of my abandoned socks (lost his mate in the dryer but was holding on to him for when I lose another) and did my very first sock bun! Thanks!! Going to a wedding this weekend, so maybe this is how I'll do my hair.

    nofindersfee.wordpress.com 

    ReplyDelete
  8. Um. You just BLEW. MY. MIND.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Instead of using a lonely sock, I cut up a pair of my daughter's tights (the one with a hole in the knee). Works great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi there, yes this post is truly good and I have learned lot of things from it about blogging.
    thanks.
    Feel free to visit my webpage - Over here

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do consider all of the concepts you've presented for your post. They're really convincing and will certainly work.
    Still, the posts are very quick for novices. Could you please prolong them
    a little from next time? Thanks for the post.

    Here is my page ... flat

    ReplyDelete
  12. In the Bitcasa vision, there is an amazing difference between these and standard old silicone!
    Likewise, if you take some macro camera shots or get right up in there you can make the money on
    this. These are simply some of the features of traditional banks, but without the.

    You should never forget your regular check-ups too so
    you may be the case.

    Look at my webpage - fleshlight

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love getting to know you all a little better each time :)