Tuesday, August 9

Everybody, Everywear: Pattern Mixing

It's that time of the month again, and I just love how we're all in this together! Obviously certain months seem better than others (depending on how your closet is stacked) but no matter what the theme, I just always get SO excited when Everybody, Everywear approaches ...and by excited, I mean I often jump the gun and wear the EBEW on the first Tuesday by mistake. But that ain't no thang because it just means I get to do it all over again the next week!


Jack by BB Dakota dress | French Connection skirt | Marc Fisher gladiators  


When I first saw the batch of choices up for this months pick, my immediate reactions was "PLAIN WHITE BUTTON-UP, please oh-please, let it be the plain white button-up". Looks like I've spilled the beans - I'm a great, big scaredy cat. I smartened up though, settling on pattern mixing as the next best thing, and boy-oh-boy am I glad that won because obviously the rest gave me the jitters. Monkeys don't like bumble bees, Sorrens don't like colour-blocking and animal prints - everybody's got their kryptonite. 

When I first planned this outfit I was going to pair this skirt with a floral top. However, upon styling the two together the whole look brought forward too many memories of a colder time, a time called fall. Since this skirt is the only patterned bottom I own, I opted for the lace. As much as I like the pairing I've got to be honest, it definitely resembles the easy way out. Looks like I'm just going to have to give this pattern mixing business another go sometime soon.




Everybody, Everywear | Pattern Mixing

31 comments:

  1. I like that you went with the subtle pattern of lace - as much as i love stripes and floral, i feel like that is what EVERYONE is going to be wearing today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually love that this is your total minimalist approach to pattern mixing. It's your style (so far as I can tell with the invitation and views of your apartment we get) and I love how you made it work for the challenge. Oh and you look HOT so that's a plus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually love that this is your total minimalist approach to pattern mixing. It's your style (so far as I can tell with the invitation and views of your apartment we get) and I love how you made it work for the challenge. Oh and you look HOT so that's a plus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a great job! I love all the details of your outfit and the accesories. So cute with the dress underneath like that, I have yet to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorren! I love this EBEW look. You're such a remix, pattern mixing goddess! Oh, love your hair too. OK, that's all.
    Except, wow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this combo, it's subtle but very cute. Also you look great in this dress!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your outfit! I am such a big fan of wearing dresses as tops, so I am glad to see I am not the only one doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just came across your blog via the EBEW site, and I just started following. I love your take on pattern mixing; it's so subtle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Came by from EBEW to tell you that I love your pattern mixing look... especially that skirt! Gorgeous!

    Hayley
    http://theweekendfile.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your look. I really like the skirt! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sleek and simple--very sophisticated patterns here, especially with the monochromatic color scheme. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Though you consider it the easy way out, it looks amazing! You look wonderful :) I love the lace + gladiator sandals combo.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your outfit looks great, especially with the up do! I think it would look amazing with heels for an evening/night out :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Subtle but cute. That necklace is really fun. When I first saw that pattern mixing was the challenge I had a freak out moment until I realized that this could be fun and adventurist. Nice job on the wearing a dress as a skirt.
    Cheers,
    Bre

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hahaha, this is a VERY Sorren approach to pattern-mixing, and I couldn't approve more! Lovely, classic, minimalist with a bit of edge. And ironically I was pretty afraid of the animal print, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that you put a skirt over that dress! Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Darling submission for EBEW - I love how subtle the pattern is on the white! Fabulous idea. I totally love remixing clothes by wearing a skirt on top of a dress. Great layering option :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cute! I love the subtleness of this outfit. And I was glad we avoided the animal print too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so in love with that skirt! And very sneaky with the lace dress. The texture of the lace looks great paired with the skirt and your necklace is so pretty!

    Mint & Mellow

    ReplyDelete
  20. I was praying for a white button-down too! I missed this month's challenge entirely...forgot all about it. This look is really subtle, and it really works :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. This all looks so cute together! I'm crazy about that skirt!
    -Meagan
    http://spunkychateau.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the subtle pattern mixing - so elegant!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Looks great to me! Also, I love your bangs.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think it is great that you took the challenge and made it work for you. The subtle pattern mixing is great. - Katy

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oo I really, really like this! You turned an outfit of neutral colors into something much more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Head to toe - I love this look! I never would have thought about wearing a skirt over a dress, but now you've got my wheels turning as I think about my own closet.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ha! That picture is so cute! (The one where you're saying: "Don't tell anyone, but my top is really a dress!) I do that with my dresses sometimes and I feel the same way on the inside!

    Your outfit is lovely. :)

    -Steph from http://chocolatelaced.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  28. Found your blog thorugh Teal's (I've been following her for inspiration). Now i have another source for that too, yey! I love this outfit, and maybe when my little spawn is out and ive lost all the baby weight, I'll be able to rock something like this again!
    Following your style adventures!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love getting to know you all a little better each time :)