Monday, August 15

Big Changes

It has happened. I have joined the ranks of the over-educated and under-employed. It's a shame and a bit of bummer but honestly this experience has made me realize that I'm an optimist because, more than anything, I am excited to see what the future holds.

I suppose I might as well get the details out of the way. Although it wasn't a mutual decision, it wasn't a messy separation either. A myriad of independent situations culminated in my being laid off. It went down like this:  
  1. I had grown out of my Marketing Coordinator role & my position the way it was would have needed to evolve to a higher level to accommodate. 
  2. Our divisions' Marketing Department was being restructured. 
  3. Although there are advocates for both strategies, the company decided to shift focus from communications & branding to proposals. 
  4. In the case of numbers 2 and 3, the division would require more administrative help for the marketing department. 
  5. The decision was made to eliminate my position and create an administrative role.
My position offered me some great opportunities and fantastic experiences. I was given autonomy and therefore some freedom to mould and shape my job. This is something I really valued as it allowed me to learn, grow and experience different paths I may have not traveled down otherwise. I attended training for html, css and SEO (Search Engine Optimization) and was able to teach myself to understand website statistics and use google analytics, showing me that I enjoy the Digital Media side of marketing. My position also allowed me to discover that, although I chose a Marketing degree over Graphic Design all those years ago, my passion for creating and designing logos, print ads, website and  layouts, is still very much alive and well.

Although I'm sad to leave great people and a good company this is really a blessing in disguise (and not even a very good disguise at that. In fact, that little blessing was a tad lazy when choosing its costume. Honestly, it really should have tried a little harder ...perhaps opted for a moustache, a fake nose and some spectacles). I've already got a great big list of "to dos" and goals. So, while I search for a new job, with the guidance of some lovely people at Robertson Surrette, I will be spending my free time tackling that growing inventory. Who knows, maybe I'll even share some of my puttering around, I could call it FUNemployed. How's that sound? Before you answer I suppose I should note that my fun ranges from designing a portfolio site to baking to yoga&beaches to cleaning my apartment in it's entirety - and, if there's rain, there will be A LOT of apartment cleaning. So hold on tight, if you're along for the ride and remember, you were warned :)

22 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about the layoff :( it sounds like you're keeping a good attitude and staying positive...those qualities will definitely help you find a new job soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great attitude! So excited for all the FUNemployed-ness to be blogged about haha! I am sure that you will find a job tres soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry that you got laid off but it seems like you have the perfect attitude. I'm sure all your FUNemployment plans will come to fruition and you'll end up somewhere better than you started! (At the last job not here and now)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the positiveness! From what I can tell you will have no issues fining something that suits you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sometimes a break (and some funemployment) is totally necessary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good on ya, Sorren. There's no good can come from slowly choking your creativity to death.. plus, late summer/fall in NS is a wonderful time search, do, make, etc.
    Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've just entered the work-from-home stage, which is also the work-with-a-toddler stage. So I'm feeling all of your trepidation and excitement. My very best to you as you find your new path!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good luck! I remember what it was like when I was laid off and I think you are taking a wonderful approach with it. Things will fall together- it may take time, but you seem like such a smart and talented lady- you'll get what you deserve =D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whats for you won't go by you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great post, Sorren. Right attitude and so thoughtful. I'm cheering for you and looking forward to reading about your new adventures. Xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw, I'm so sorry Sorren. Good luck with the job search! Maybe you can look for jobs in Seattle so you can join our next blogger meet-up. yeah? yeah??? :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's the spirit :-) I'm sure you'll find something even better real soon, from the short time I've read your blog you seem like a real catch for a new employer. Good luck! Also: FUNemployment? LOL!!

    Relatable Style

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorren I am so sorry, but unfortunately it is happening more and more frequently these days, but I am sure that a good looking Girl like you with your engaging personality will not be "resting" for long, it's out there somewhere,go look for it Girl.
    Kisses
    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry to hear about your company's cutbacks (we just went through them last week!), but I'm happy to hear that you're taking a negative experience and turning it into a positive one for you! I mean, who else would ever use the term "FUNemployment"? Haha! Best of luck to you in your search :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry to hear about your job :( But I love your "funemployed" attitude and I know that a talented girl like you will find another position soon!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorren, I'm so sorry to hear about the job situation. I'm really excited to hear about all your projects coming up. They sound really fun and I'm sure you will end up with something amazing in the end. Everything happens for a reason, right?

    ReplyDelete
  17. FUNEMPLOYMENT, wooo!! I don't know quite how you got me cheering over here at what could've been a scary/depressing post, but I'm pumped for you! I'm hooked on your funtivities already, this "apartment cleaning" thing you speak of sounds interesting, not quite familiar with it over here in Major Slob Land..

    ReplyDelete
  18. Seriously, thanks you guys so much for all your kind comments and support, it really means SO much to me!

    ReplyDelete
  19. hahaha yes... there may be a move in my future, who knows?? ;) that actually sounded really vague when I read it back but I am considering applying for jobs all over, including the west coast, which would put me wayy closer to seattle!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I'm sad to hear this news but am super proud of your positive attitude!

    I'm sure the future holds awesome surprises for you!!

    Virginie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lame-o. Getting laid off, not you. Sorry to hear but I'm sure it'll be a great time to figure some stuff out and it will go by MUCH faster than you want it to. I was laid off last year and it only lasted 2 months. I almost cried when I had to go back. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love getting to know you all a little better each time :)