Monday, July 25

Summer Getaway

We arrived at StonehAme a tad too prompt – 2hours too prompt to be exact – but managed an early check-in. Our room was breezy, sunny, refreshing; much more impressive than the website and brochures had boasted.
Once we had unpacked the car we headed for Pictou (approximately 25 minute drive) in search of lunch and beaches. We ended up at the Stone Soup café who’s understated décor did not prepare us for the absolutely delicious sandwiches we were served. Upon paying our bill we were pointed in the direction of Caribou / Munroes National Park. It was breath-taking. Although I had planned on swimming, my yet-to-be-kicked sniffles decided it best not too.  I did, however enjoy a sunny nap and, later on that night, the hot tub.

Saturday night, we had reservations at Piper’s Landing, a “fine-dining” restaurant recommended as a local must-eat. While Jack’s meal was delicious (a T-bone steak topped with garlic and herb butter with feta, croquets and vegetables) and our server was nice as can be, the treatment we were greeted with upon entering the restaurant, combined with being sat by the bar in a restaurant that was less than half-full (with no large parties arriving after us) caste a black cloud over the entire experience. It didn’t help matters that although plentiful, my scallops were beyond underwhelming and the mediocre rice was reminiscent of high school when I would come home late to find leftover dinner plated for me on the counter with a note. While my food was not worth more than half of what it was priced, it was the behavior that ensured this would be a one-time-only visit.
the culprit
I don’t know what it is about hotel beds but they always knock me out flat. The next morning we took our time; I tested Chelsea Handler and heather MacDonald’s bagel theory, while Jack watched some Rocky Balboa. I also attempted to make myself presentable, but seeing as I forgot my brush at home I had to pull an Ariel. Let me tell you, combing your hair with the fork is a lengthy process; that shit’s not easy. Once we checked out – at the very last minute – we took another trip into town to enjoy the scenery, grab some coffee and daydream about which houses we would make our own when we were established enough to work rurally.
super, haunted house. 
Our final stop on the route was Sugar Moon Farms, open year-round, located in Earltown, Nova Scotia. Sugar Moon Farm is not only a delicious, syrupy pancake house but also manufactures and retails pure Nova Scotian maple syrup. This was our first visit but definitely not the last. With maple syrup being high in antioxidants and the farm itself supporting local agriculture and environmental practices, through draft horse power and compostable washrooms, it would be a crime against ourselves, and our community, to not show support.



3 comments:

  1. Your last meal looks like one I ate in Quebec at a cabane a sucre a few years ago. Yum! Great photos - I'll have to explore the East Coast more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes. I actually lived in Montreal until I was 13 which meant lots of run-ins with the cabane a sucre, so when I found out this place existed it was a must! You definitely should visit the maritimes, it can be a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOh! looks like fun! Except for the underwhelming scallops. that always sucks. I ALWAYS happen to pick the worst item on the menu, and I end up drooling over husband's meal because his is so much tastier. Now, I ask him to pick me something, because his choices are always better!

    and maple syrup. YUMMMMMMM

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love getting to know you all a little better each time :)