Tuesday, July 26

Success!

I have been dreaming of this day since the first time I caught on to Shen's brilliant ruse. I remember thinking "Oh my goodness, this girl is a sneaky genius!" Since then, I have been hemming and hawing about which dress and which skirt will combine to create the most seamless illusion while trying to catch other brilliant bloggers attempting this feat, and succeeding, on a daily basis. 


Club Monaco blazer, skirt and belt | Katrina Tuttle dress | Franco Sarto belt | necklace - gift from my grandmother | bracelet - gift from my brother
sneakiness, and the wedges I would have worn was this not the 30 for 30

Well folks, the day has come, and lucky for me it was two items in my 30 that finally did it. Initially I attempted this dress with my black BCBG skirt, however the waist line of the dress was far too high for that combo to work. Second, I attempted this skirt with my newest Katrina Tuttle dress, however the pouf the dress made under the skirt seemed a little too cupcake-ish for the office. Luckily for me it is the 30 for 30; I am working with only 3 skirts and 2 dresses so it didn't take very long to stumble onto the winning combo.

I really enjoyed the layering. It's exciting to give new life to a dress in this way. I often feel as though I'm cheating by wearing dresses so often because they're just so easy and quickly turn an hour of mixing and matching in the closet into a five minute affair. Another reason this trick is fantastic is it practically doubles my wardrobe, and considering my dresses are my bravest pieces - very little else in my wardrobe has patterns - my closet has just gotten a whole lot more exciting!

22 comments:

  1. Soooo that's a perfect idea! This very morning I kept on trying different SHIRTS on over a certain dress and it just wasn't working. It never occurred to me to mix it with a skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love wearing dresses under skirts! especially ones that are too short for the office :) Except when they already have their waist defined, then it's annoying because you have to match it perfectly to the skirt :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love wearing dresses as tops and skirts and this is the perfect way to do so without lumps and bumps! I really like the black & white patterns with the purple skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been reading your blog for a while and never commented before but today I had to! I really love this outfit! It can be difficult mixing and matching the right combo but you really nailed it here! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Virgnie's CinemaJuly 26, 2011 at 7:43 PM

    SO pretty!

    Remixing is getting hard now that we are at the end, but your layering is super inspiring! The purple and the graphic print are just perfection together :)

    Virginie ♥

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love love love everything about this! I am in love with this color!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for mentioning me as an inspiration lady! I never realized how great black and white looks with lavender! Love the fact that your outfit easily transitions from office wear to evening wear which is ideal during this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it. I would not have thought to put a skirt over a dress, but it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. In addition to cheating with that slut the dress, are you cheating on your locks too? Your hair looks distinctly lighter.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this dress/skirt combo! It looks amazing! I think that's the best part about the 30 for 30. It forces you to combine pieces you normally wouldn't think of pairing. You look lovely.

    (Just discovered your blog via miss. monkeyface. You're adorable)

    ReplyDelete
  11. haha what can I say, summer flings are where it's at!

    ...although I'm actually not cheating on my hair, that just happens when the weather actually permits me to go out into the sun. Up close, it's also a bit sun burnt :S

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks perfect together! The purple is such a fun pop of color too. I love when my closet has good mix-match days:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was just as excited the first time I made a dress into a skirt! It's a good feeling, expanding your wardrobe for free :) This looks great, and I love that skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOVE LOVE LOVE everything about this outfit!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous!!
    You commented a while ago on an outfit of mine where I was wearing a yellow skirt. I'm doing a giveaway on my blog and that skirt is the prize! You can check it out here:
    http://irisinspired.blogspot.com/2011/07/celebrate-giveaway.html
    Thanks!
    -Kate
    irisinspired.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's so perfect because I discovered your blog through monkeyface! She should get a tagline that says "connecting Canadian bloggers coast to coast" or something less lame...

    any-way, I can't wait to get to know your blog better!

    ReplyDelete
  17. no problem! I think I may have gasped when I realized that "shirt" was a dress.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so happy you commented! I love it! and you are right, it is possible to spend way too much time trying to get the right combo. I'm glad this worked out as well in photos as in my head!

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh yes, this skirt was perfect for disguising the lumps and bumps of the extra layering!

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh I am so excited you mentioned "too short for the office" I am going to go WILD in my closet once my 30 challenge is over!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I agree, it has been getting tough! I so happy I took some inspiration and put it into practice!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love getting to know you all a little better each time :)