Wednesday, June 15

30 for 30 Picks: Spring

My favourite part about the 30 for 30 Challenge is rediscovering my closet - all the pieces I was once enamored with that have now been tossed carelessly to the side. Although I already completed the last two challenges (Fall and Winter) on my own terms (I was a week late to one and seriously, how can I be expected to not shop when items are 40% off? That's pretty much a crime to my future self) Kendi's speech inspired me. 

In past challenges I chose both office and casual pieces to create both weekday and weekend outfits, stretching each piece to its limits and sometimes pushing the boundaries on what I'd wear to the office. However, as this challenge approached I began to get nervous; it's not as easy once the sun is out. Winter pieces are by nature inherently conservative making them easy to work into a 9 - 5 wardrobe without risking risque-ness - summer pieces however - not so much. Shorts, unless they are of the city style, just do not have a place in the office. Flirty skirts, if dressed up, can pass on a casual Friday or a slow, meeting-free week. Lighter dresses are often more difficult to style as work-appropriate-wear  than the heavier winter frocks, especially when working in an older office. All these questionable office-items are however, my favourite go-tos during the warmer spring and summer months. This made me realize that I do not want to do both this time around. I do not want to limit my fun, flirty weekend wear. It is sunny. I mean it will be sunny, and when it is I am not missing out on wearing my favourite pieces outside of work.

My answer? I am going to mix my 30 items into 30 different outfits Monday through Friday and then run wild on the weekends. If I manage to throw together something using my items on a Saturday I will post it - if not, I may just share with you a "rule-breaker". At first I had decided the opposite - I would remix casual outfits for after-work and weekends only, but then I remembered how disenchanted I've become with dressing for the office lately and realized that my office-wear needs this more right now. 




I've chosen a few pieces that allow for fun if needed, and few pieces I have been ignoring for a long time. I think this may be my most difficult challenge given that I'm not relying on old favourites but am instead uncovering old cast aways. I've also started a few days late since I did a Q&A guest post over at The Daily Dani on Monday and had my heart set on my outfit for the Everybody, Everywear: Lace edition that I was not willing to give up.


10 comments:

  1. I totally understand the dilemma of having enough work appropriate outfits when doing the 30 for 30 in the summer. Relaxing the rules to make them work for your daily life makes sense and less stress. This is supposed to be a fun exercise after all : ) I look forward to seeing your remixing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! I didn't do it this time because I thought it would be too hard to incorporate work wear and weekend wear. But I love your idea!

    Kelly
    Enterkelly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. good idea with the weekday thing. I should probably try this out some other remix. i'm always trying to get it finished haha. best of luck! can't wait to see what you have in store!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is a BRILLIANT idea! If I had a real job I would totally copy it. And I'm too lazy to type another comment in the post below but if I wasn't I would tell you that you look annoyingly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great choices, great set-up...you are going to rock (as usual). I have to sit this one out, but I'll live vicariously through you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had the same dilemma in picking my 30 items! Fortunately, the office I work in is really casual...shorts are fine as long as they're not Daisy Dukes or cutoffs. Excited to see how you style your work clothes...and jealous that I didn't come up with the same plan ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh that's smart, to do it only for work clothes. I had that issue too, because even though I technically can wear shorts to work, I prefer not to. And then I'm pretty sure when I'm on vacation I'll want to live in shorts... so it's tricky!

    Can't wait to see your outfits!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think that is a good plan. Except I'm on my way to your house to steal those oxfords. They are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @kelsey They are currently on sale at the Locale website. I have a weird urge to buy a second pair... I'm foolish

    I'm glad everyone's onboard with my plan because I just did not want to give up any opportunities to wear my dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the way you organized your items...the photos look great! I'm doing the 30x30 as well (for a second time) best of luck to us both!

    http://whatiworetiptotoe.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love getting to know you all a little better each time :)