Monday, January 3

Be Brave

I rarely make New Years Resolutions. So rare in fact that I'm always caught off guard by the question when someone inevitably poses it the few days leading up to, or after, January 1st. I am not a fan of creating unrealistic goals that I will likely never reach resulting in my own disappointment and guilt. Don't misunderstand, I think resolutions are great and many people are fully capable of sticking to them and benefiting in wonderful ways. I, however, am a very reactionary person driven by the moment at hand, i.e. if there is a delicious piece of cake sitting in front of me I will eat it even if I had previously resolved not to.


So here I go, my attempt at a few resolutions. ...don't be surprised if you are slightly underwhelmed.

  1. Be tart: I have a mean sugar tooth. So mean in fact that I think I may actually have 3 to 5 sugar tooths, or teeths, sugar teeth?? There's no good way to say it, they're all awkward; my cute and clever joke is ruined... I should have thought that through longer. In any case, I have a decent diet. I pack a lunch each day for work including yogurt, fruit, veg and hummus, or cracker and cheese as my snacks. I do a good job of staying away from sweets during the day but once I'm home and dinner is eaten all I can think of is a sugary treat. Instead of giving into this craving 7 nights a week I pledge to only give in 4 nights. Don't mock, this is a big step for me. 
  2. Be frugal: This could also be called "Spend less money on clothes". I am an admirer of, but not a slave to, brand names. This has helped me keep my clothing budget reasonable as I allow myself to lust over items such as Louboutins but will not purchase any until it is financially viable - or I have a good enough excuse. Even still I believe that few less dollars spent on my wardrobe would allow for a better hold on my student loans and therefore an all around better quality of life. I'm not sure how much I've spent monthly in the past year, I tend to buy what I like when I can, because of this I don't really know how to put a price limit on this resolution. I suppose I can just make a promise to myself to think twice, not to impulse buy and be more strict in implementing my self-monitoring plan when something catches my eye.
  3. Be brave: I try to make decisions based by which choice will result in least regret, even if that means that I have to choose the scarier or more challenging road. I want be brave in all aspects. At work - asking tough questions, pushing for tasks I want and will take me farther, working hard to prove myself. At home - I am most comfortable when I have a plan in place that I can rely on, while this can be helpful and efficient it sometimes causes me to miss out on a moment. I want to be braver and not let the absence of planning cause me stress. In my wardrobe - Although I have been cautious in my choices, I have pushed myself to wear prints and it has been fun. I want to continue to push my fashion choices and make an effort to try new things. In life - This is just all around every day braveness; complimenting the people around, striking up a conversation with someone I don't know very well, going to an event I may not want to go to.
There you go - my first resolutions in about 10 years?? I think my last one was "stop falling for awful jerky boys" so the timeline checks out. I'll try and keep you updated on the progress of my resolutions. Keep in mind that, for the most part, no news will be good news!


American Apparel flannel shirt, American Apparel tights, American Apparel slip, Hue socks,
Club Monaco belt, Steve Madden boots, Ski Teal we Drop OP
I

This outfit is in keeping with my third resolution to "Be Brave". I've been wanting to try out the "man shirt" for a while. I have always found mens shirts difficult to work with. I think the reason may be that for a tall girl to wear one she needs to get a large of xlarge which causes the shoulders to be wayy too massive. More petite girls can get away with a medium which balances the length and the shoulder width in a way that can be more flattering. This is just my theory - I have no actual evidence to support this hypothesis. Elle, of joy, et cetera, finally inspired me to do so when, in her last post, she was wore one and pulled is off incredibly well. 


While Jack was out picking up some coffee I went through his shirts and chose a nice new flannel from American Apparel. When he came home I was showing off my creation and he said "for some reason your dress makes you look like you're not wearing pants" - he didn't even realize it was his shirt! Based on that comment I threw on a slip underneath so as to hopefully not offend anyone I may encounter. I felt like the tall socks also helped to balance the shortness of the shirt by giving a little something extra on the bottom and creating an overall cozier feeling. All in all I felt the man-shirt-experiment was a success with a few quirks I need to work out. I can't decide if this belt is the right fit for the style, it may be too structured. Perhaps I should try a thick elastic belt or one with flimsier fabric? I encountered the massive-shoulder-width issue with this shirt which the belt helped to balance by better defining my waist. Finally, there was the is-this-too-short situation and used the slip as a bandaid, but I need to find a better fix. 

5 comments:

  1. That's kind of hilarious that he didn't realize it was his shirt. :) And I really like how you styled it. I just wish my husband had some cute flannels, but he doesn't :(

    Those are really good resolutions, and mine are kind of along the same lines (isn't everyone's?) but the sweets thing, I don't think I'd be able to do that. I NEED something sweet after dinner every night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rather like the shoulders a bit wide and slouchy...it seems to balance out that scandalously short bottom! This is such a great look for you...laid back, but still quite sharp. I think the belt is gorgeous, but I could really see this working with a wide woven leather one as well.

    Ah, simple, achievable resolutions are the best. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha oh no! As soon as I saw you need something sweet after dinner too I started to back out of my resolution, this may be harder than I thought. Perhaps a caveat I will include is that I should opt for something that is naturally sweet 3 nights a week... sooo, blueberries and yogurt or honey and cinnamon on toast. Phew, i've already calmed down a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh! i love the shout-out and i LOVE this look! you look terrific! haha i think it's so funny that jack didn't realize it was his shirt! i think you're beginning your new year of resolutions quite well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha oh no! As soon as I saw you need something sweet after dinner too I started to back out of my resolution, this may be harder than I thought. Perhaps a caveat I will include is that I should opt for something that is naturally sweet 3 nights a week... sooo, blueberries and yogurt or honey and cinnamon on toast. Phew, i've already calmed down a bit!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I love getting to know you all a little better each time :)